Blastocystis infection is commonly treated in all countries by many physicians.  However, medical culture varies, and in some parts of the world it may be more difficult to find a physician to treat the infection.  This is especially true in Canada, the Northeast states in the United States, and the United Kingdom.  Additionally, if first-line treatment fails, some doctors may be reluctant to prescribe other drugs to treat the infection.

The list of physicians below is taken from e-mail testimonials provided by patients to BRF, and from studies in peer reviewed medical journals.

The advantage in using such a physician is that they have previous experience treating difficult cases, and the patient does not have to pay for visits to discuss the general issue of pathogenicity.

If you are a physician and would like to be added or removed from this list, please contact BRF.

United States

David Edelberg, M.D.
2522 North Lincoln Avenue
Chicago, IL 60614
phone: 773.296.6700

Dr. William Stuppy
1136 W 6th St Ste 401
Los Angeles, CA
Reference: AGA Abstracts, Blastocystis hominis in patients with irritable bowel syndrome, and eradication with Nitazoxanide

Jon D. Kaiser, M.D.
Integrative Health Consulting
1083 Vine Street Suite #852
Healdsburg, CA 95448
For appointment info visit:


Dr. A Econs
Allergy Medical UK
The Raleigh Park Clinic
Raleigh Park Road
(sites in West Yorkshire and Weybridge, Surrey)

Statens Serum Institut
5, Artillerivej
DK-2300 Copenhagen S
Phone: +45 3268 3268
Fax: +45 3268 3868
NOTE: SSI is not a clinic, but they have published a number of studies on Blastocystis infection, and may be able to give a referral to a physician.


Center for Digestive Diseases

Centre for Digestive Diseases
Level 1, 229 Great North Road
Five Dock NSW 2046
Telephone: 61 2 9713 4011

This fact sheet is for information only and is not meant to be used for self-diagnosis or as a substitute for consultation with a health care provider. If you have any questions about the disease described above or think that you may have a parasitic infection, consult a health care provider.